Olbia is situated in the north-west coast of Sardinia.This town which stands on the flat land of Padrogianu, with its deep bay is the only natural harbour of the Sardinian east-coast. Its ancient origins go back to the nuragic age; in days gone by it was colonized by Phoenicians, Punics, Romans and Carthaginians. Due to its fertile hinterland and its strategic position for the trade towards other Mediterranean countries, Olbia became a rich and important town, as it is shown by the remains of its baths, of the roman aqueduct and of the big public buildings. This town, which went through a period of decay during the vandalistic age, found again a new period of prosperity during the Middle Age, when it became the chief town of the "Giudicato di Gallura" and was called Civita.
During the XIX century it was called Terranova Pausania, then in 1939 its name was changed into its ancient romain name of Olbia. The ancient history of this town can be found in some remains of the punic necropolis, in the town walls and in the old baths.On evidence of this Middle Age town is in the romanesque church of S. Simplicio, which is fully made of granite and which keeps in the inside a really interesting collection of roman funeral inscriptions. In the historical centre it is also worth visiting either the XVII century church of S. Paolo, with its Gallurese style, or the example of ancient houses and buildings.
Nowadays, Olbia, which is called the "main entrance of Sardinia" has become a living tourist bathing centre, provided with every service and many beautiful beaches (Pittulongu, il Pellicano). This town is also a suitable way to easily reach the well-known turistic mediterranean resorts of "La Costa Smeralda", "Porto Rotondo", the island of "La Maddalena" and "Caprera", along with many important archaeological sites: the nuragic group of "Cabu Abbas", the holy well of "Sa Testa" and the giants grave of " Su Monte and S’Abe".